Anderson Cooper is preparing to step away from 60 minutes after nearly 20 years as a correspondent, marking a significant moment for the longtime CBS News issued amid the ongoing turmoil in the company.
The veteran journalist who has balanced his role at the Sunday evening newsmagazine alongside his full-time job at CNNhas chosen not to renew its agreement with CBS Newsaccording to people familiar with the decision.
His final segment, a profile of documentary filmmaker Ken Burns, aired Sunday.
In a statement, Anderson Cooper said the decision was deeply personal.
“Being a correspondent at 60 minutes has been one of the great honors of my career. I got to tell amazing stories and work with some of the best producers, editors and camera crews in the business.
For almost twenty years I have been able to balance my jobs on CNN and CBSbut I have young children now and I want to spend as much time with them as possible while they still want to spend time with me.”
Cooper came along 60 minutes during the 2006–2007 season and became one of the few reporters to have prominent roles on both network and cable television.
Over the years, his reporting for the program has won several Emmy Awards, including stories about jazz prodigy Joey Alexander and African prison inmates whose music went on to win a Grammy.
While Cooper recently signed a new deal to stay on CNNwhere his work includes Anderson Cooper 360°, the long form series The whole story and the podcast All there ishis departure from 60 minutes comes at a difficult time CBS News.
The program has been caught up in wider corporate and editorial disputes surrounding Paramount Global’s sale to Skydance.
Last year, 60 minutes became central to a legal battle after Donald Trump sued the program over edits of an interview with Kamala Harris.
Although CBS News Lawyers deemed the case without merit, Paramount ultimately agreed to a $16 million settlement, which was seen internally as necessary to avoid regulatory hurdles.
During this period, executive producer Bill Owens resigned, followed by Wendy McMahon, the head of the news department.
Editorial tensions continued recently when a report on deportations to El Salvador was pulled after being promoted.
The correspondent involved criticized the move as political rather than editorial. The segment eventually aired weeks later with context added, but without comment from a Trump administration official.
The changes have been played out under the leadership of Bari Weiss, the current editor-in-chief of CBS Newswhose efforts to reshape the division have drawn criticism from some employees and contributed to unrest in the newsroom.
In a statement acknowledging Cooper’s exit, CBS News said: “For more than two decades, Anderson Cooper has taken 60 minutes viewers on journeys to distant places, told us unforgettable stories, reported subsequent investigations and interviewed many prominent figures.
We are grateful to him for dedicating so much of his life to this broadcast and we understand the importance of spending more time with family. 60 minutes will be here if he ever wants to return.”
Cooper appeared briefly on the program during its Last minute segment on Sunday, and while it’s unclear if it will be his last on-air moment this season, his departure removes one of the show’s most recognizable faces.
For now, Cooper remains firmly entrenched at CNNwhile 60 minutes continues to navigate a period of uncertainty behind the scenes.



