ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif on Tuesday noted mismanagement and irregularities in the wake of the men’s national hockey team’s tour of Australia for the FIH Pro League, the Pakistan Sports Board (PSB) confirmed.
The move followed videos on social media showing players in substandard accommodation during their recent tour of Australia.
According to the PSB, the federal government has launched a formal investigation into the matter and asked the authorities to determine who is responsible for the alleged administrative errors, adding that those found guilty will face strict action.
The PSB stated that the incident had been taken seriously at the highest level, with Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif ordering immediate inquiry into the arrangements made for the team competing in the FIH Pro League.
Furthermore, Adviser to the Prime Minister on Inter-Provincial Coordination Rana Sanaullah also ordered an inquiry into alleged mismanagement by the Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF), stating that the administrative lapses had not only affected the players but also damaged the country’s sporting reputation.
“Mismanagement has not only affected the players but has also damaged the reputation of the sport and the country. Those responsible for desecrating hockey will not be spared under any circumstances,” Sanaullah said.
“We will ensure a transparent investigation and strict action against anyone found involved in administrative negligence. No one will be allowed to bring the game into disrepute.”
The issue came to light after videos circulated on social media showing national hockey players being provided with substandard accommodation during the Pro League match in Australia.
Sources said the players were in a hurry to pack their belongings ahead of the check-out at 7 p.m. 10:00.
PHF had originally paid for seven days’ accommodation in Hobart, but the team was accommodated over an hour and a half outside the city in facilities described as minimal.
Players reportedly had to endure these conditions due to logistical challenges during the trip.
With the assistance of the local community, the team management eventually arranged alternative accommodation and meals.
While the first hotel reservations were canceled due to non-payment, rooms were later booked through an online platform, however with four to five players sharing each room and the bookings did not cover the entire duration of the stay.
The tour results added to the disappointment as the national team remained winless in the Australian leg of the FIH Pro League. Pakistan suffered defeats in all four matches, losing 3–2 and 3–0 to Australia and 5–2 and 6–1 to Germany.
Looking ahead, Pakistan are scheduled to face Belgium on June 13 and Spain on June 14, followed by rematches against Belgium and Spain on June 20.
The team will then clash against arch-rivals India on June 23 and England on June 24, with the second meeting against India and England set for June 26 and June 27 respectively.



