The government says it called on the Afghan Taliban to stop cross-border attacks, but no action was taken
A Pakistani soldier keeps vigil at the border fence with Afghanistan. PHOTO: AFP/FILE
ISLAMABAD:
Pakistan carried out intelligence-based strikes against seven terrorist camps along the Pakistan-Afghanistan border following a series of recent suicide bombings, including an attack on an imambargah in Islamabad and incidents in Bajaur and Bannu.
In a statement issued early Sunday morning, the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting said Pakistan had “conclusive evidence” that the attacks were carried out by militants called “Khawarij” at the behest of their Afghanistan-based leadership.
“In the wake of recent suicide bombings in Pakistan, including the Imam Bargah in Islamabad, one each in Bajaur and Bannu followed by another incident today in Bannu during the holy month of Ramazan, Pakistan has conclusive evidence that these terrorist acts were committed by Khawarij at the behest of their Afghanistan-based leadership and handlers,” the ministry said.
The statement added that responsibility for the attacks had been claimed by Afghanistan-based members of the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), their affiliates and the Islamic State-Khorasan Province (ISKP).
Press release
21 February 2026In the wake of recent suicide bombings in Pakistan, including the Imam Bargah in Islamabad, one each in Bajaur and Bannu followed by another incident today in Bannu during the holy month of Ramzan, Pakistan has conclusive evidence that…
— Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (@MoIB_Official) 21 February 2026
Pakistan said it had repeatedly called on Afghanistan’s interim Taliban authorities to prevent militant groups from using Afghan territory to launch cross-border attacks, but said no meaningful action had been taken.
“Despite repeated efforts by Pakistan to call on the Afghan Taliban regime to take verifiable measures to deny terrorist groups and foreign proxies the use of Afghan territory to carry out terrorist activities in Pakistan, the Afghan Taliban regime failed to take any significant action against them,” the ministry said.
The statement further said it remains committed to regional peace but will prioritize internal security. “Pakistan has always strived to maintain peace and stability in the region, but at the same time, the safety and security of our citizens is our top priority,” it said.
“Against this backdrop, in a retaliatory response, Pakistan has carried out intelligence-based selective targeting of seven terrorist camps and hideouts of Pakistani Taliban by FAK and its affiliates and ISKP at the border region of Pakistan’s Afghan border with precision and accuracy,” it added.
It further called on the interim government of Afghanistan to fulfill its responsibilities and prevent the country’s soil from being used against Pakistan. “Pakistan expects and reiterates that the Interim Afghan Government fulfills its obligations and denies the use of its land per Khawarij and terrorists against Pakistan as the safety and security of people of Pakistan comes first,” the ministry said.
It urged international stakeholders to pressure the Taliban authorities to comply with their obligations under the Doha Agreement.
“Pakistan also expects the international community to play a positive and constructive role in calling on the Taliban regime to stand by its commitments as part of the Doha Agreement to deny the use of its soil against other countries; an action that is essential for regional and global peace and security,” the statement concluded.



