Iran’s foreign minister says progress has been made in nuclear talks with the US

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi addresses a special session of the Conference on Disarmament at the United Nations, apart from the US-Iran talks, in Geneva, Switzerland, February 17, 2026. — Reuters
  • Araghchi says progress has been made on key guiding principles.
  • Asks the US to refrain from threatening the use of force against Iran.
  • Hope negotiations will lead to a sustainable and negotiated solution.

GENEVA: Iran and the United States reached an understanding on key “guiding principles” in a second round of nuclear talks in Geneva on Tuesday, but work still needs to be done, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said.

The progress does not mean a deal will be reached soon, but the road has begun, he told Iranian media after the talks ended.

Iranian state media earlier reported that Iran would temporarily close part of the Strait of Hormuz, a vital global oil supply route, as it held talks over its nuclear program with the United States, which has sent a combat force to the Gulf region to pressure Tehran into making concessions.

US President Donald Trump has said “regime change” in Tehran could be the best thing to happen, while Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said on Tuesday that any US attempt to oust his government would fail.

Just as the talks got under way in Geneva, Iranian state media reported that parts of the strategic strait would close for a few hours due to “security measures” while Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guards conducted military exercises there.

Tehran has previously threatened to close the strait to commercial shipping if attacked, a move that would choke off a fifth of global oil flows and drive up crude prices.

Along with Araghchi, US envoy Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner attended the Geneva talks, which were brokered by Oman, a source briefed on the matter said. Reuters.

Speaking at a disarmament conference in Geneva after talks between US and Iranian representatives were held in the western Swiss city earlier in the day, Araghchi said the US should immediately refrain from threatening the use of force against Iran.

He said any sustainable agreement must ensure full recognition of Iran’s legitimate rights.

Araghchi said: “A new window of opportunity has opened, we hope that negotiations will lead to a sustainable and negotiated solution.”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top