Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Photo: File
ISLAMABAD:
The State Department said on Thursday it summoned the Afghan deputy chief of mission and delivered a strong demarche over the deadly terror attack in Bajaur on February 16, warning Kabul to take “immediate, concrete and verifiable measures” against terrorist groups operating from its soil.
According to an official statement, the demarche was delivered to the representative of the Afghan Taliban regime following a vehicle-borne suicide bombing and subsequent fire attack on a Pakistani military and law enforcement office post in Bajaur. Eleven Pakistani soldiers were martyred during the attack.
Pakistan condemned “in the strongest possible terms” the attack, which it said was carried out by Fitna al Khwarij, also known as the outlawed Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP). The State Department expressed serious concern that the entire leadership of the FAK/TTP was based in Afghanistan and continued to operate with impunity from Afghan territory.
Islamabad reiterated that it had received repeated assurances from the Afghan Taliban authorities that Afghan soil would not be used for terrorism against Pakistan. However, the statement noted with regret that there had been no “visible or concrete actions” to address Pakistan’s concerns.
The Afghan side was categorically informed that Pakistan reserved the right to respond and eliminate any Khwarij belonging to the FAK along with their affiliates “wherever they are located” to protect its soldiers, civilians and territorial integrity.
The demarche came amid heightened tensions along the Pak-Afghan border and followed what officials described as a worrying escalation in cross-border attacks.
During his weekly press briefing on Thursday, Foreign Ministry spokesman Tahir Andrabi elaborated on the context of the demarche and termed the Bajaur attack a “cowardly” act.
Andrabi stressed that while Pakistan remained committed to dialogue and diplomacy in the broader context of its historical, cultural and ethnic ties with Afghanistan, patience had its limits when it came to attacks on Pakistani civilians and security personnel.
He said Pakistan’s right to self-defense under Article 51 of the UN Charter remained intact and any action against terrorist elements would be aimed at protecting innocent lives.
The spokesperson also highlighted Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif’s visit to Washington at the invitation of US President Donald J. Trump to attend the inaugural session of the Board of Peace (BoP) on February 19.
Summarizing several issues on the agenda for the BoP meeting, Andrabi said a decision on the contours of the mandate of the proposed International Stabilization Force (ISF) was still awaited.
“We understand that a decision is awaited on the contours of the mandate of the International Stabilization Force and until then we are not in a position to make any decision on this matter,” he said.
He reiterated that Pakistan had clearly identified its “red lines”.
“Pakistan can be part of a peacekeeping mandate, but we would not be part of any disarmament/demilitarization mandates,” he said, adding that discussions on the issue may take place during the BoP meeting in Washington.
Regarding concerns regarding the participation of certain countries in the board, Andrabi said Pakistan had joined the forum with a special focus. “We have joined the Board of Peace with a particular focus, i.e. the reconstruction in Gaza, long-term settlement of the Palestinian issues. So we would continue to follow this approach and not be bothered by the participation of one country or another.”
He described the BoP as a “glimmer of hope” and expressed the expectation that it would help ease the plight of the Palestinian people, especially in Gaza, and contribute to peace, prosperity and a path towards a lasting solution to the Palestinian issue.
Referring to recent developments in the occupied West Bank, the spokesman said the topic could also come up during the BoP meeting, especially in light of concerns expressed by eight Arab and Islamic countries over Israel’s actions.
As diplomatic engagements continued abroad, Islamabad’s message to Kabul remained firm: Afghan soil must not be used for terrorism against Pakistan, and assurances must be translated into tangible action.



