Rizwan reflects on back-to-back defeat to New Zealand

Pakistan captain Mohammad Rizwan talks at the conference after the match after the defeat of the second ODD against New Zealand in Seddon Park in Hamilton on April 2, 2025.-Screen Grab via Pakinomist News

Pakistan skipper Mohammad Rizwan offered his reflections after the team’s 84-race loss to New Zealand in the second ODD in the three-match series in Seddon Park on Wednesday.

In the presentation after the match, Rizwan recognized the challenges his team faced and said, “It’s tender, but it’s part of the game. We didn’t do well today. We didn’t use swing effectively, and New Zealand bowled very well.”

“Later Faheem and Naseem fought well for us. This is challenging relationship but we can’t make excuses. We are professional cricketers and we have to do something else,” he added.

He also praised New Zealand’s disciplined bowling attacks.

“Bowlers of New Zealand were very disciplined; they bowled the hard lengths. In the last few months we have lost the most important moments. Today we did not do well with the ball or bat in the first 10 overs. Credit to Mitch Hay too; the way he fought was great,” Rizwan said. “We don’t know much about the track in Tauranga, but we will have to adapt to.”

When he chased a challenging goal of 293, Pakistan’s persecution started to a catastrophic start as the supreme order collapsed under pressure from New Zealand’s bowlers.

Abdullah Shafique (1 in 11) was rejected early by O’Rourke, followed by Imam-Ul-Haq (3 out of 12) and Babar Azam (1 out of 3), both of whom fell cheaply to Jacob Duffy’s exact bowling.

With three quick wickets down, Pakistan’s position looked unsafe. Things deteriorated when Mohammad Rizwan (5 out of 27) and Salman Agha (9 out of 15) also fell without making significant contributions.

Tayyab Tahir (13 out of 29) tried to stabilize laps, but New Zealand’s merciless pressure prevented Pakistan from getting any momentum.

Allrounder Faheem Ashraf showed remarkable resilience and scored a glorious half -century. As he continued to lose partners-Mohammad Wasim Jr. (1 out of 2) and Akif Javed (8 out of 7) were dismissed by Ben Sears and Jacob Duffy-Handed Pakistan fighting 114-8 in 28.2 overs.

The situation took a more worrying turn when Haris Rauf suffered a concussion after being hit upside down and forced him to leave the field.

Naseem Shah came in as his replacement, and the couple formed a crucial 50-race partnership for the ninth wicket, which brought the score to 165-8 in 36 overs.

Despite their best efforts, Pakistan’s resistance ended when Ben Sear’s dismissed Faheem Ashraf (73 out of 80), leaving the score of 174-9.

Despite a tapper bank from Naseem Shah, who had previously reached his girl ODD 50 on only 41 balls, Pakistan’s laps were wrapped in 208 in 41.2 Overs, with Naseem dismissed for 51.

Earlier in the match, New Zealand’s lap was rooted in solid partnerships. Rhys Mariu and Nick Kelly took 50 races before Pakistan’s bowlers started coming in.

Despite regular wickets that fell, Mitchell Hay’s late wave led New Zealand to a competitive a total of 292.

In the first one-day international match on March 29, Mark Chapman hit a sublime century, and Nathan Smith claimed four wickets as black caps lightened to a 73-run victory over green shirts.

Before the ongoing ODDs, New Zealand had secured a dominant 4-1 victory in the Five-Match T20i series against Pakistan.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top