KP CM announces ‘Imran Khan Release Force’ for former PM’s freedom

Afridi says peaceful movement is inevitable; power to be registered, oath taking after Eid

KP CM Afridi addresses the media outside the Supreme Court. PHOTO: X

Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Sohail Afridi on Wednesday announced the formation of the “Imran Khan Release Force” to campaign for the release of Imran Khan, saying a public movement had become “inevitable following persistent violations of court directives”.

“The Free Imran Khan Force will wage a completely peaceful struggle. After his release, Imran Khan himself will disband the force,” Afridi said while speaking to reporters outside Pakistan’s Supreme Court.

He said membership card would be ready within four to five days and youth from Peshawar would take oath after Eidul Fitr. Responsibility for managing protests and negotiations had been assigned to Senate Opposition Leader Raja Nasir Abbas and National Assembly Opposition Leader Mahmood Khan Achakzai, adding that Khan had delegated the task of preparing a street movement.

Afridi said the force will include members of Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf, Insaf Students Federation and the party’s women’s wing. He said it would be formally registered, operate under a clear chain of command and begin activities only after preparations were completed.

According to Afridi, the initiative aims to ensure constitutional supremacy, strengthen democracy and protect an independent media.

Read: TTAP ends Parliament protest, raises concern over Imran Khan’s health

Khan, 73, has been jailed since August 2023 after being convicted in several cases he says were politically motivated after he was ousted in a parliamentary vote in 2022. His party has stepped up calls for his release after a medical report submitted to the court said the vision in his right eye had dropped to 15%, while the government maintains he is receiving the best care.

Separately, Abbas announced the end of a sit-in staged by the Tehreek-e-Tahaffuz-e-Ayeen Pakistan alliance outside parliament as Ramazan begins, saying the group would decide its next course of action.

He said the protest was organized to prevent what he called the government’s negligence and unconstitutional actions, claiming that lawmakers had effectively been locked up in parliament premises and residences and that cases, including terrorism charges, had been filed against them while peaceful protests were prevented.

Read more: SC stays Imran Khan’s Toshakhana, cipher, defamation cases indefinitely

Regarding Khan’s health, Abbas said a medical report confirmed some improvement in his vision, but concerns remained and monitoring was required. He said the condition had been critical in the past and accused prison authorities of negligence, adding that legal proceedings were imminent.

He also called for specialist treatment at Shifa International Hospital and demanded that family members and doctors, including Faisal Sultan, be allowed access. “Even a small improvement makes us happy and we pray for his full recovery,” he said.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top