CDF Asim Munir leaves for official visit to Iran: security sources

Case visits will include discussions on US-Iran negotiations, regional peace and stability

Photo taken and provided by Iran’s Foreign Ministry on April 15, 2026 shows Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi (R) welcoming Army Chief Field Marshal Asim Munir upon his arrival at Tehran airport. Photo: AFP

According to security sources, the Chief of Defense and Chief of Army Staff Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir has left for an official visit to Iran.

Sources said the visit will include discussions on US-Iran talks, regional peace and stability as well as other issues of common interest. During the visit, he is also expected to hold meetings with senior Iranian officials and key figures, they added.

Meanwhile, a Qatari negotiating team also arrived in Tehran on Friday in coordination with the United States to help secure an agreement to end the war and resolve outstanding issues, a source with knowledge of the matter told Reuters.

ReadRubio says Pakistan remains ‘primary interlocutor’ in US-Iran talks

Doha, which has worked as a mediator in the Gaza war and other areas of international tension, had until now distanced itself from playing a mediating role in the Iran war after it was attacked by Iranian missiles and drones during the latest conflict.

“A Qatari negotiating team is in Tehran on Friday,” the source said, adding that the team had traveled in coordination with the United States and was there to help “reach a final agreement that would end the war and resolve outstanding issues with Iran.”

Qatar’s foreign ministry did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

While Pakistan has acted as the official mediator since the fighting began, Qatar’s re-engagement reflects its long-standing role as a US ally in the region and a trusted back channel between Washington and Tehran.

Last month, CDF Munir concluded a three-day visit to Iran where he stressed the need for dialogue and de-escalation to achieve a peaceful resolution of the US-Iran conflict through diplomatic efforts, the military’s media wing said in a statement.

According to the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), Field Marshal Munir and Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi along with a delegation held meetings with the Iranian leadership.

“During the visit, the Field Marshal called on the President of Iran, Masoud Pezeshkian, and held separate meetings with the Speaker of the National Assembly, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi and the Chief of Khatam al-Anbiya Headquarters, Major General Ali Abdollahi,” it said.

The ISPR said the discussions focused on promoting sustainable peace in the region, with particular emphasis on the evolving security environment, ongoing diplomatic engagements and cooperative measures aimed at promoting long-term stability.

“The Field Marshal emphasized the need for dialogue, de-escalation and peaceful resolution of outstanding issues through sustained diplomatic efforts,” the statement added.

According to the ISPR, during the visit, the Field Marshal expressed deep appreciation for the warm hospitality extended by the Iranian leadership and the Iranian people. He also conveyed the sincere greetings and best wishes of the President, Prime Minister and people of Pakistan to the Iranian leadership and reaffirmed Pakistan’s desire to further strengthen the historic and brotherly ties between the two countries.

“The visit reflects Pakistan’s unwavering determination to facilitate a negotiated solution to the conflict in the Middle East and to promote peace, stability and prosperity in the region,” the statement said.

Araghchi said he was “delighted” to welcome the field marshal on his visit. “Expressed gratitude to Pakistan’s gracious host for the dialogue, emphasizing that it reflects our deep and great bilateral relationship. Our commitment to promoting peace and stability in the region remains strong – and shared.”

US President Donald Trump had extended the ceasefire with Iran at the request of Field Marshal Munir and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, saying it would remain in place until the Islamic Republic’s proposal was presented. In a post on Truth Social, Trump said the decision was made in the context of the situation in Iran and at the request of the Pakistani leadership.

“Based on the fact that Iran’s government is seriously divided, not unexpectedly, and at the request of Field Marshal Asim Munir and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif of Pakistan, we have been asked to hold our attacks on the country of Iran until their leaders and representatives can come up with a unified proposal,” he said.

He added that he had instructed the US military to maintain its readiness while the blockade continued.

“I have therefore directed our military to continue the blockade and in all other respects remain ready and able, and I will therefore extend the ceasefire until their proposal is presented and the discussions are concluded, one way or the other,” Trump said.

Prime Minister Shehbaz responded to Trump in a post on X and thanked.

“On my personal behalf and on behalf of Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir, I sincerely thank President Trump for graciously accepting our request to extend the ceasefire to allow ongoing diplomatic efforts to take their course.

“With the confidence and trust, Pakistan will continue its serious efforts for the negotiated settlement of the conflict.

“I sincerely hope that both sides will continue to observe the ceasefire and be able to conclude a comprehensive ‘peace agreement’ during the second round of talks planned in Islamabad for a permanent end to the conflict,” he said.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top