Balochistan transporters suspend mineral loading due to security, extortion concerns

Association cites massive losses from burnt trucks and forced bribes; requires probe

Trucks carrying Afghan nationals expelled from Pakistan are parked as refugees await registration at the Omari refugee camp in Mohmand Dara, Torkham border, Nangarhar province, Afghanistan, April 15, 2025 Photo: Reuters

The Balochistan Goods Truck Owners Association announced on Tuesday that it would suspend loading and transportation of chromite, marble and other minerals across the province, citing repeated attacks on vehicles, lack of security and widespread extortion by various elements.

Addressing a press conference at Quetta Press Club, Association President Haji Noor Muhammad Shahwani said transporters suffered losses worth millions of rupees due to burning of trucks and bursting of tyres. He warned that any truck or business owner loading minerals would be solely responsible for any profit or loss.

“From today onwards, no truck will load chromite or marble from Dalbandin, Nokkundi, Muslim Bagh or Loralai,” declared Shahwani. However, loading of food and other common goods will continue as normal.

Read: Gwadar Port tariff rates lowered

He said the attacks had been taking place for a long time on the national highways. Recent incidents were reported in areas including Mastung, Khad Kocha, Armagai in Kharan district, Washuk and Khuzdar where nearly a dozen trucks were hit. Eight trucks were set on fire, while the rest sustained damage to their tires.

Shahwani complained that neither mining contractors and owners nor the provincial government had provided any support or compensation to the affected transporters, making mineral transportation an excruciating ordeal.

He further claimed that no highway in Balochistan was safe. Looting took place in broad daylight at gunpoint, where money was forcibly taken from trucks and buses. At several check posts including Rukshan, Barori, Barija in Jhal Magsi district, Rakhni and Dana Sar, personnel allegedly forced parked food trucks to surrender diesel.

The association chief also pointed to “humiliating” behavior of the station house officer at Sakran police station at Hub Chowki towards transporters. He claimed that trucks and trailers en route from Balochistan to Karachi were regularly subjected to extortion.

Despite directives issued by the chief minister to stop the extortion culture of the police and other departments and remove illegal check posts, the practice continued unabated, he added.

Shahwani also raised the issue of a recent fire at the Lakpass Customs Warehouse in which transporters’ vehicles worth billions of rupees were destroyed. He demanded the formation of a high-level inquiry committee under the supervision of the Balochistan High Court to investigate the incident and take action against those responsible.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top