Efforts are being intensified for ‘standby agreement’

ISLAMABAD:

Pakistan, along with other regional countries, is believed to have pushed for a “standby agreement” aimed at bringing a formal end to the war between Iran and the United States while establishing a framework for resolving contentious issues that continue to divide Tehran and Washington, it emerged on Thursday.

As part of these efforts, Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi continued his engagements in Tehran during his second visit within days, holding talks with key Iranian figures, including Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi and Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni.

Iranian state media IRNA reported that Naqvi also met President Masoud Pezeshkian, who reviewed the latest regional developments and diplomatic consultations related to Iran-US talks.

According to the Iranian side, President Pezeshkian appreciated Pakistan’s role and support for regional stability and constructive engagement.

The Iranian Foreign Ministry separately confirmed that Tehran was currently reviewing a new proposal from the United States to end the war.

Diplomatic sources said that unlike previous proposals, the latest initiative sought to break the current impasse through what President Trump had previously described as a “statement of intent,” actually a standby arrangement designed to provide a detour to both sides.

The proposal essentially aims at a formal closure of hostilities, while at the same time establishing a broader framework for negotiations on unresolved disputes.

One of the biggest problems, however, remains the status of the Strait of Hormuz.

The US, Gulf countries and other states dependent on the main maritime route want the strait restored to its pre-war status to ensure uninterrupted global energy supplies.

However, Iran insists it has sovereign rights over the strategic choke point through which nearly a fifth of the world’s oil supplies pass.

Iranian media also suggested that a senior Pakistani military figure could travel to Tehran in the coming days in an attempt to help finalize the deal.

However, Islamabad has been tight-lipped and has not given any official confirmation of the possible visit.

Sources said such a high-level trip was likely to take place only if Naqvi’s ongoing engagement yielded tangible progress on the diplomatic front.

The US secretary of state also said on Thursday that Pakistani officials will travel to Tehran. “So hopefully that will promote this further,” he told reporters.

“The president’s preference is to make a good deal, that’s his preference. It’s always been his preference. If we can get a good deal done, that would be great,” Rubio said.

“But if we can’t get a good deal, the president has been clear — he has other options. I won’t elaborate on what it is, but everybody knows what it is.”

He added: “There are some good signs, but … I don’t want to be overly optimistic either, so let’s see what happens over the next few days.”

According to observers, the latest proposal for a stand-alone arrangement is aimed at ending the perennial insecurity that has gripped the region since the outbreak of the conflict.

Without a formal closure of hostilities, they warn, the region could remain mired in instability as the specter of another round of war continues to loom.

For that reason, Pakistan and several regional actors are intensifying diplomatic efforts to ensure that the current initiative does not collapse.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top