Illegal practice narrows key drain from 350 feet to nearly 50 feet before monsoon
Persistent dumping of construction materials, garbage, soil and scrap waste in Nullah Leh raises serious questions about the authorities’ ability to enforce restrictions imposed under Section 144. PHOTOS: EXPRESS
RAWALPINDI:
With the arrival of the monsoon flood season approaching, the relevant departments have so far failed to ensure the removal of silt, waste and construction material from Nullah Leh and 15 storm water drains flowing across the city.
Due to the negligence and alleged collusion of the authorities and the police, heavy carts, trailers and trucks are constantly dumping tons of soil, construction debris and garbage in Nullah Leh near the dangerous Ganjmandi Bridge despite an official ban.
As a result, heaps of soil, waste and construction material have accumulated on both sides of the drain and the width of Nullah Leh, which once measured between 300 and 350 feet, has shrunk to nearly 50 feet, raising fears of devastating floods during this year’s monsoon.
The automatic flood warning system installed at Nullah Leh is also non-functional and is yet to be restored. As per Section 144, dumping of construction materials, garbage and waste in Nullah Leh and storm water drains is prohibited. But despite the ban, trolleys filled with construction waste and urban waste continue to dump material into the drain near the historic Ganjmandi Bridge.
Every day dozens of trucks dump waste, garbage and scrap material into Nullah Leh and other storm drains near Ganjmandi Bridge, Dhoke Ratta, City Saddar Road and Gawalmandi Bridge. Later millions of rupees are sought to remove the same garbage and waste material.
This year also, a total of Rs 150 million has been requested for desilting and cleaning of Nullah Leh and 15 storm drains.
WASA sought Rs80 million for Nullah Leh, while Rs70 million was requested for 15 storm drains. The Punjab government had been requested to release the funds on an emergency basis following which notices were issued that desilting work would begin from May 1.
However, from May 15, dumping of soil, construction debris and garbage continues in Nullah Leh near Ganjmandi Bridge, adjacent to Ganjmandi Police Station in the densely populated central area of the city. The waste and debris quickly occupy the width of the drain, reducing it to nearly 50 feet, a situation that can trigger severe flooding during pre-monsoon and heavy monsoon rains.
Traders of the Ganjmandi market and nearby residents have announced a protest demonstration on Friday against the situation.
Shopkeepers and residents Faiz Ahmed, Rashid Khan and Haji Banaras said tons of construction materials and soil were being dumped in Nullah Leh despite the presence of a nearby police station and legal restrictions.
They said that the flood season had already started and this was the time to clear the drain of silt and debris, but instead piles of garbage, waste soil and construction material had formed in various places in the drain.
They warned that poor planning, narrowing of the drain and major encroachments along its banks had created severe flooding this year.
They further alleged that despite a stay order, a double-storey market had been constructed on government land near the Ganjmandi bridge, while sewer lines were also laid there and in adjoining shops, which could trigger another flood disaster and further narrow the drain.



