US airports step up Ebola screening amid Africa outbreak
Health officials at US airports are implementing enhanced Ebola screenings for travelers arriving from Congo, Uganda and South Sudan. The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) is working with airlines to identify possible exposures after more than 130 deaths and nearly 600 suspected cases in Africa. Secretary of State Marco Rubio has criticized the efforts of the CDC and the World Health Organization (WHO).
NEWYou can now listen to Pakinomist articles!
Congo is dealing with an Ebola outbreak, and the executive director of the White House Task Force for the World Cup, Andrew Giuliani, said the Congolese national soccer team must isolate themselves if they want to enter the United States for the global tournament.
The United States has told FIFA, the Congolese government and the national soccer team that they must self-isolate for 21 days to enter the country for the World Cup. The team is currently training in Belgium and is scheduled to play two warm-up matches there.
“We’ve been very clear with Congo that they have to maintain the integrity of their bubble for 21 days before they can then come to Houston on June 11,” Giuliani told ESPN. “We’ve also made it very clear to the Congolese government that they have to maintain that bubble or they risk not being able to travel to the United States. We couldn’t be clearer.”
CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON Pakinomist
Meschack Elia of Congo reacts during the FIFA World Cup 2026 Play-off Final between DR Congo and Jamaica at Estadio Guadalajara in Zapopan, Mexico on March 31, 2026. (Agustín Cuevas/Getty Images)
“We want to make sure nothing comes into or near our borders here in this area,” he said.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has been monitoring two American doctors who were quarantined in Europe after being exposed to Ebola, Giuliani said. He said they have discussed sending staff to Belgium to check on the Congo team.
In Congo last week they had a confirmed outbreak of Bundibugyo, a rare type of Ebola. It is believed to have killed more than 130 people, with nearly 600 suspected cases.
ZERO BS. JUST DAKICH. TAKE THE DON’T @ ME PODCAST ON THE ROAD. DOWNLOAD NOW!

Lens’ DR Congo defender Arthur Masuaku and Malian midfielder Amadou Haidara take part in a training session at the Stade de France stadium in Saint-Denis on May 21, 2026 ahead of the French Cup final against Nice on May 22, 2026. (Franck Fife/AFP)
“If there are other people coming in, they have to have a separate bubble from that team. If they end up coming and any of those people end up being symptomatic, they risk the whole team being able to come and compete in this World Cup,” Giuliani said.
The CDC announced this week that all foreign nationals who had been to Congo, Uganda and South Sudan within the past three weeks would be barred from entering the United States for 30 days.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE Pakinomist APP

Renaldo Cephas of Jamaica and Brian Cipenga of Congo compete for the ball during the FIFA World Cup 2026 play-off final at Estadio Guadalajara in Zapopan, Mexico on March 31, 2026. (Agustín Cuevas/Getty Images)
Congo canceled a planned team farewell to fans and a three-day World Cup preparation training camp on Wednesday.
Congo are in Group K and are scheduled to play Portugal in their opening game in Houston on June 17. Their next two games are against Colombia in Guadalajara, Mexico on June 23 and Uzbekistan in Atlanta on June 27.



