Giants QB Jaxson Dart shuts down Tim Tebow comparisons: ‘I’m not like that’

NEWYou can now listen to Pakinomist articles!

Jaxson Dart looks bigger and stronger than his rookie year in the NFL with the New York Giants. He insists he weighs the same.

“I’m not like Tim Tebow,” Dart said with a smile. “I’m not like that.”

Still built like a quarterback and not like Tebow, who became a tight end as a pro, Dart made a concerted effort in recent months to build muscle. It was evident when he took the field in the first week of organized team activities.

“I think I’m just leaner and our strength staff has done a great job,” Dart said Thursday. “When you’re just coming into the league, there’s a little more resources you have when it comes to a nutrition standpoint, building a plan. Had a really good offseason and I was happy to make it through last season healthy.”

Dart missed two games last season after suffering a concussion, and yes, the topic of him coming down and sliding came up after new coach John Harbaugh, offensive coordinator Matt Nagy and quarterbacks coach Brian Callahan took over. The 23-year-old admitted earlier this week at a Giants town hall fan event that he needs to avoid some unnecessary hits to stay on the field.

Evidence of this adjustment won’t be clear until September, when the games start counting. During offseason workouts, the goal is to build a relationship with a handful of new pass catchers, including receiver Darnell Mooney and tight end Isaiah Likely.

Darts gathered players for informal practice in California earlier this spring to start that process.

“These are some things you should do,” Mooney said. “The more reps you get with Dart, the more familiar he becomes with you and the more you connect.”

Returning receivers Malik Nabers, who is recovering from a torn ACL in his right knee, and Darius Slayton were among the injured players who did not participate Thursday. Harbaugh said Slayton had surgery to repair a long-standing sports hernia and expects the 29-year-old to be ready for training camp.

Nabers’ timeline is bleaker, with no guarantee he’ll be ready for the season opener.

“It’s probably the first time he’s been hurt like this, and my experience with guys is the first time they have a serious injury, it’s tough,” Harbaugh said. “It’s tough because it’s new for him. It’s a tough process. Our job is to stay close to him and stay with him and his job is to trust and work hard. He’s doing his job and the trainers and the doctors are doing their job and he wants to be back.”

Left tackle Andrew Thomas participated in practices Tuesday and Wednesday, Harbaugh said, while nursing shoulder and foot injuries. Thomas said he and the coaches are handling the situation.

Giants sign GM Joe Schoen to multi-year contract extension

The Giants announced Thursday night that they have signed general manager Joe Schoen to a multi-year contract extension, keeping him able to work with Harbaugh for the foreseeable future.

The two have complemented each other since Harbaugh was hired in January, reporting directly to ownership. The extension of Schoen’s deal is a sign that it wasn’t just talk, and it comes after New York defensive tackle Dexter Lawrence’s trade request and selected linebacker Arvell Reese and offensive lineman Francis “Sisi” Mauigoa with the No. 5 and 10 picks in the draft.

“Joe did a great job tonight working under pressure,” Harbaugh said after the first round last month. “Obviously he was very well prepared, he just knew what he wanted to do and made the different calls and communicated with everybody. I thought we had a really good operation. Joe is leading it and did a great job with it.”

Report from the Associated Press

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top