‘I am very happy with the verdict. May such justice continue to be delivered in Pakistan,’ says mother
Sana Yousaf’s parents speak to the media outside court after announcing the verdict in the murder case of their daughter, who was killed last June. SCREEN GRAB
The parents of social media influencer Sana Yousaf on Tuesday expressed satisfaction with the death sentence for their daughter’s killer, saying justice had finally been served, while also demanding that the convict be publicly executed.
Earlier today, a court in Islamabad announced the verdict in the murder case, sentencing Umar Hayat to death. In addition, he was sentenced to 21 years in prison and fined a total of Rs 2.5 million.
Speaking to the media outside court, the victim’s mother thanked her team of lawyers and said she had received justice today. She also expressed gratitude to the police team, the judge and the media for their role in the case.
Also read: Court sentences Umar Hayat to death in Sana Yousaf murder case
“I am very happy with the verdict. May such justice continue to be delivered in Pakistan. The criminal has received the right punishment,” she said while calling for the convict to be hanged in public.
Sana’s father also welcomed the verdict, saying that the family had been waiting for this day for the past 11 months and that the judiciary had made a decision in the spirit of justice.
He said the sentence was not only for his family but for society at large, adding that it would serve as a lesson to criminals.
“This justice is not only for me but for the entire society,” he said as he thanked the legal team and the media for helping the case reach its logical conclusion.
He also praised the judiciary, saying Justice Afzal Majoka had given a decision based on justice and deserved appreciation for it.
Deputy Public Prosecutor Raja Naveed Hussain while addressing the media said that the prosecution had fulfilled all legal requirements during the trial and the court had ruled in its favour.
Discussing the proceedings and evidence in the case, he said the eyewitnesses included the victim’s mother and aunt, who testified in court about how Sana Yousaf was shot dead and how the accused fled after taking her mobile phone.
“We conducted an identification parade in the court and the witnesses correctly identified the accused. His confessional statement was also recorded which further strengthened our case. The recovered shells matched the pistol seized by the accused,” he said.
He added that one of the most important pieces of evidence was the fingerprints found on a mirror in Sana’s room. According to him, the fingerprints were lifted and matched with Nadra’s fingerprint record of the accused.
He said the accused failed to present any plausible defense during the trial, after which Justice Majoka awarded him the death sentence under Section 302(b).
The deputy prosecutor described the judgment as important and welcome for the rule of law in the country, saying such decisions would create deterrence against crime in the society and deter people from committing such acts.
Sana, a 17-year-old TikToker, was shot dead in Islamabad’s G-13 sector in June 2025. She was shot at close range inside her home.
The killer had allegedly entered Sana’s house, opened fire and then fled the scene. A case of murder was subsequently registered against Hayat at Sumbal police station and he was sent to jail for two weeks on remand, two days after the murder.
In September, Hayat dismissed the charges and pleaded not guilty. The charges against him included murder and taking the victim’s mobile phone. The dismissal came after he allegedly confessed to shooting Sana inside her home, according to investigators.
In January 2026, a district court in Islamabad recorded the statements of Sana’s mother and aunt. When Judge Majoka heard the case, Hayat was produced in court, but no lawyer initially appeared on his behalf. With the resumption of the hearing, Sana’s mother and her aunt appeared in court.
The mother recorded her statement stating that her son was in Chitral for summer vacations while her sister-in-law was visiting their home. She said that around 5pm, a man wearing a black shirt and blue trousers entered their house and fired two shots at Sana in the presence of both women. She added that the assailant fled with a gun and Sana’s mobile phone.
Read more: ‘We will not forget you’
In April, the Islamabad High Court reserved its judgment on a petition filed by Hayat seeking transfer of the murder case to another court. Chief Justice Sardar Muhammad Sarfraz Dogar, while hearing the case, observed that if the parties approached the High Court, they should inform the High Court.



