The commander, who was believed to be the mastermind behind several attacks on security forces and civilians, carried a bounty of Rs3 million
Security forces killed a much-wanted terrorist commander along with four other terrorists in a major intelligence-based operation in the Spinwam area of North Waziristan, security sources said on Thursday.
The operation was launched following intelligence reports of the presence of an extremely wanted terrorist leader identified as Umar alias Jan Mir alias Tor Saqib. According to security sources, the commander carried a bounty of Rs3 million and was considered the mastermind behind several attacks on security forces and civilians.
They stated that the operation was carried out in a coordinated manner during which the militants were surrounded and neutralized. They added that the commander had established underground bunkers, tunnels and explosive traps in the area around the Bobali Mosque in Spinwam.
Sources said the killing of the wanted terrorist commander marks a significant development in the ongoing counter-terrorism efforts in the region.
Experts said the elimination of the target is likely to help improve security and stability in the area, calling it a major setback for the terror network. They added that operations during Operation Azm-e-Istehkam against militant groups continues.
Federal Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi in a statement praised the security forces for the successful operation and hailed the security forces, saying the “brutal end” of the wanted terrorist commander marked a major success for the country’s fight against terrorism.
He said Pakistan’s security personnel showed courage and determination in eliminating militants associated with Fitna al-Khawarij. “The brave sons of the soil are eliminating terrorists with valor and professionalism,” he said.
The development comes two days after the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) said security forces killed 22 terrorists during a clearance operation conducted in KP’s North Waziristan district.
Read: 22 terrorists killed during sanitation operation in KP’s North Waziristan: ISPR
The military’s media wing said it was based on credible intelligence about the presence of terrorists, security forces have been conducting an operation in the general area of Shewa since Sunday where “after intense exchange of fire, 22. khwarijbelonging to Indian sponsored Fitna al-Khawarijhas been sent to hell within the last 24 hours”.
ISPR added that arms and ammunition were recovered and further said that they were actively involved in several terrorist activities in the area.
KP has been fighting terrorism since the US’s ouster from Afghanistan, with terrorists often crossing the border to target police convoys and vehicles, resulting in the deaths of several officials and personnel.
The Pakistan Institute for Conflict and Security Studies said in a report that 85 confirmed terrorist attacks were recorded in April, down from 146 in March, marking a 42% drop, while deaths from such attacks fell from 106 to 60, extending a downward trajectory that had begun the previous month.
The report attributed the improvement to Pakistan’s cross-border military campaign against terrorist groups and Taliban positions between February 26 and March 18, which later gave way to a suspension of hostilities and talks in Urumqi, China.
Operation Ghazab lil-Haq had been launched following unprovoked shelling by the Afghan Taliban from across the border. Despite the drop in attacks, total combat-related deaths, including deaths from militant violence and security operations, stood at 291 in April.
Militants accounted for 224 of these deaths, representing 77% of the total. The remaining casualties included 28 security personnel, 37 civilians and two members of pro-government peace committees.



