Pakistan tightens airport screening after WHO declares Ebola outbreak global emergency

In light of the World Health Organization’s (WHO) declaration of the Ebola outbreak in Congo and Uganda as a global emergency, Pakistan has intensified screening measures at airports across the country, along with other precautions.

According to the Ministry of National Health Services, Regulations and Coordination on Saturday, Federal Health Minister Mustafa Kamal directed authorities to implement strict preventive screening protocols at all airports to prevent possible spread of the virus.

The ministry said the current Ebola outbreak remains confined to the African countries of Congo and Uganda, citing WHO reports that so far no cases have been detected outside Africa.

Travelers intending to visit African countries have been advised to review relevant travel and health guidelines before departure.

Read: WHO raises risk of Ebola outbreak in Congo to ‘very high’ at national level

The ministry further stated that no Ebola cases had ever been reported in Pakistan or neighboring countries, adding that Pakistan faced a very low risk due to limited travel links with the affected African states.

But following WHO directives to strengthen preventive surveillance, health authorities have stepped up surveillance and preparedness measures nationwide, although no travel restrictions have been recommended.

The health minister said preventive steps were taken proactively in light of the recent spread of the virus, stressing that “effective measures are being ensured to protect the public from epidemics.”

The Ministry of Health and the National Institute of Health continuously monitor the situation in coordination with the WHO.

Read more: Ebola deaths in eastern Congo rise to 131, WHO expresses deep concern

Authorities have asked all provinces and border health services to remain alert, while the Ministry of Health and its affiliated institutions have been put on high alert to respond to any emergency.

Noting that Pakistan had the capacity to diagnose Ebola, the ministry said directives had been issued to ensure that all necessary arrangements and preparedness measures are in place.

Health authorities are also coordinating closely with the WHO to monitor developments related to the outbreak.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top